Sunday, July 12, 2009

Adventures in Oklahoma

Our trip to Oklahoma City was uneventful. Nothing broke at least, and actually it seemed more like an hour than three to get there. Maybe everything will seem like a short drive after our trip to NY!

Yesterday we drove two hours to Altus, OK and met with a small church there to teach them about what we're calling Power Evangelism. I was so proud of Jon. It has been many years since I have seen him be able to teach with such abandon. He has been squashed and censored by so many he had lost the passion that made him so great a speaker. But he was back yesterday! Of course it helped that this church was crazy about God and reaching their community. These guys are going to turn Altus on their heads! They were so excited about what Jon had to teach them and they went after their neighborhood that afternoon with fervor. We sent out six teams for an hour and everyone of them came back with multiple stories of being able to pray for people with illness, financial crises, and other problems. If I told you all the stories you would be reading the rest of the night, so I'll just tell you mine. Pastor Marc and I started walking down the street not feeling any particular tug from the Lord on where we should go first. I saw a man far down the street standing outside and said we should head there. By the time we got there he had just walked in. Pastor Marc said we should knock anyway. A young woman answered the door and a little boy played in the background. We gave the schpeal. "The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand and we would like to pray for you if you have a need." And like more times than not when you ask a person this, she answered, "Yes, actually things are very difficult right now and I would like to have some prayer." After interviewing her a bit we find out that last year her husband was murdered. Not only that, but the trial is coming up and she has to testify. That coupled with now being a single mom, of course has lead to ongoing stress and trauma in her life. We were able to pray for her and she felt the presence of the Lord as she began to cry. She thanked us and we let her know that someone would be coming to check on her, but if she needed anything in the mean time, the church was right down the street.

How amazing is that!!!!

There are at least 10 other stories like that, from one hour of "work" done by 12 people. Imagine only 12 people changing an entire town for Jesus.......Oh wait....I think there might be a story about that already. Yep! I remember, it was 12 men that changed the WOLD! By doing what? Preaching "The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand! We are here to heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, and free the oppressed."

So Jon is out on the streets with another church tonight having taught them this afternoon the principles set out by Jesus about advancing the Kingdom. Me and the kids are resting from a long weekend in the heat. I'll let you know how tonight goes and also if there are any updates from the Altus church.

VRV folks: We looked at the future building for the church in Altus. You might consider a building there....as a stand alone building 3X the size of ours blocks from down town was being sold for $20,000. Their other possible site, a rented store front, a little smaller than our current space.....$50/month. Of course any savings might be eaten up in commuting....lol!

Blessings,

Emily

No comments: